SHOP / AGRICULTURAL WORKPLACE SAFETY
Environmental Health and Safety
Employees who operate forklifts must successfully complete WSU's forklift operator training program.
The Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Forklift Operator Training Coordinator provides forklift operator trainer courses to employees designated by their departments to be qualified forklift operator trainers. Qualified trainers are responsible for training forklift operators for their departments.
Chairs and Directors
Chairs and directors of departments utilizing forklifts are to designate an employee or employees as the department's forklift operator trainer(s).
Supervisors are to ensure that:
- Designated forklift operator trainers successfully complete the EH&S Forklift Operator Train-the-Trainer Course.
- Only WSU-certified forklift operators are allowed to operate a forklift.
- Forklifts are operated in a safe manner.
- Forklift operators have current certification.
- Forklift operators are evaluated by a forklift operator trainer once every three years.
- Forklift operators successfully complete refresher training if any of the following occur:
The operator is involved in an accident or near-miss incident.
The operator is seen operating the forklift in an unsafe manner.
An evaluation shows the operator is not operating the forklift safely.
The operator is assigned to drive a different type or modified forklift.
Conditions in the workplace change that could affect safe operation of the forklift.
NOTE: Refresher training is required only regarding operation topics in which the individual is found to be deficient.
Forklift Operator Trainers
Forklift operator trainers are to:
- Successfully complete the EH&S Forklift Operator Train-the Trainer Course.
NOTE: A forklift operator trainer candidate must be either a WSU-certified forklift operator or have sufficient forklift operator experience and training. A candidate without a WSU forklift operator certification must submit her or his training records and a detailed description of her or his experience to the EH&S Forklift Operator Training Coordinator for evaluation of qualifications.
- Provide forklift operator training in accordance with the WSU forklift operator training program and the manufacturer's manual.
- Evaluate forklift operators in action once every three year.
Forklift operators are to operate forklifts in a safe manner in accordance with the formal instruction and practical training received in the forklift training program.
EH&S is to:
- Provide forklift operator train-the-trainer courses.
- Review departmental forklift operator training programs.
- Maintain records of forklift operating training.
Contact EH&S for assistance and train-the-trainer course information; telephone 335-3041.