Vision, Mission, Values, Stakeholders, Goals, Objectives, Time Lines, Performance Indicators, and Constraints
A service environment dedicated to providing accurate and timely payments to employees for effort rendered.
The mission of Payroll Services is to support the teaching, learning and advancement of knowledge, research and community service of Washington State University as well as support the mission of the Division of Business Affairs:
- By providing accurate and timely compensation for work performed;
- Ensuring all deductions, benefits and taxes are correctly deducted and reported timely to the appropriate agency;
- Maintaining employees’ earnings, payroll and benefit records, and
- Ensuring we are compliant with all University, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
In summary, our mission is to provide leadership and excellence in Payroll Services for Washington State University and Business Affairs.
- The accuracy, integrity and timeliness of payrolls; the maintenance of employee databases; and information reporting are of paramount importance
- We must always seek to maintain an atmosphere of mutual respect and service orientation
- Balancing the demands of regulatory compliance with our own limited resources and with the needs of our customers requires constant diligence
- Striving to provide the highest level of support possible for all functions of the University is our underlying goal
The employees of Payroll Services shall demonstrate a commitment:
- to support WSU’s teaching, research and public service mission;
- to provide excellent customer service through teamwork, continuous improvement and a spirit of innovation;
- to treat students, faculty and fellow staff members with respect;
- to develop each employee’s skill to the fullest potential;
- to aspire to excellence both personally and professionally;
- to conduct our duties with integrity, accountability and dignity;
- to utilize sound business practices and customer-friendly administrative processes;
- to provide access to information that assists campus community members in successfully performing their jobs.
CUSTOMERS and STAKEHOLDERS
Payroll Services of Washington State University Serves:
- Employees and Retirees
- University Departments
- State and Federal Governmental Agencies
- Financial Institutions and Credit Unions
- Third Party Payors
- Board of Regents
BUSINESS SERVICES/CONTROLLER – Payroll Services: Goals, Objectives, Time Lines, Performance Indicators, and Constraints
Goal 1: Increase Tax Determination Assessments
Objective 1.1: Define plan to increase the number of participants in tax assessments for NRA’s.
Objective 1.2: Assign staff to carry out new procedures to notify J and F Visa holders at least two times..
Objective 1.3: Reduce possible tax refunds by IRS to Visa holders who did not complete tax assessment.
Objective 1.4: Coordinate procedures with International Program staff.
Time Line: In progress
Performance Indicators: Increase in assessments performed.
Constraints: Staff time. Acceptance by international community.
Goal 2: Use Microsoft Visio to define payroll processes.
Objective 2.1: To define payroll processes with the expectation of replacing system some day using systematic approach to explain current processing..
Objective 2.2: Learn how to use software.
Objective 2.3: Build user documentation library of how payroll processes occur.
Objective 2.4: Formalize work flow and processes at high level and then at individual level..
Time Line: Ongoing
Performance Indicators: Number of processes documented.
Constraints: Staff time to complete projects
Goal 3: Develop Plan to Pay Employees During a Disaster Without IT Assistance
Objective 3.1: Define, program, implement computer programs which will be run each pay cycle in the event of catastrophic IT failure so we will have transactions ready to manually pay employees on an interim basis.
Objective 3.2: Determine input on bank reconciliation, secure separate bank account, purchase check stock and envelopes from Quicken.
Objective 3.3: Advertise payment plan on website to inform departmental representatives.
Objective 3.4: Secure website outside WSU network for departmental representatives to view in case of IT failure.
Time Line: In progress
Performance Indicators: Reaction and acceptance by University community.
Constraints: IT support time to create reports. Maintaining Website. Planning and maintenance on something that may not ever be needed.